Thursday, February 11, 2010

Argument

I had a crash with my team leader last night, but it was not offensive to him personally.
One of my colleagues wrote a story about a meaningless promotion event hosted by our mother company. I checked the story and found it meaningless, but we still had to run it because it was our mother company promotional event.
The story then went to my team leader, and he said the story was not good because it did not stress sufficiently on how well the mother company was doing.
He asked for the original copy of the story. Then he called my colleague, asking whether she had extra information about the mother company.
I was confused and asked, “Isn’t the mother company name on the headline? Isn’t the first few paragraphs about the mother company?”
He replied, “That is not enough.”
I lost temper and said, “We have already included the mother company name on the headline and the first few paragraphs. Why do we have to add extra to promote?”
He replied loudly, “We write it because we have to promote. The mother company organized the event for promotion.”
I burst out, “To me, this is just a meaningless stuff and non-sense. Why do we have to put so much effort to make it look like a masterpiece of something? Non-sense stuff is non-sense.”
I did not say that we are working for news page, and such promotion stuff should, theoretically, not appear on the page. And I believe meaningless stuff should be treated in a meaningless way. I understand it is the event of our mother company, but having its name appeared on the headline and the first few paragraphs is enough.
“We all know this is meaningless. No one wants to make it a good story,” the leader said. “But we have to promote, and only having the first few paragraph talking about it and the remaining part of the story talking about something else is inappropriate.”
“I disagree,” I said.
He later said via MSN that he himself was reluctant to make changes to the story, but the original copy would not pass the senior management. He was right, the big boss asked for a revamp of the whole story.
I don’t want to argue, but it is the story checked by me and I have to say my opinion. Perhaps I should better control my temper, but I don’t think I am wrong.

2 comments:

Dennis Chong said...

Feel sorry for you

yung said...

用你的話回敬你:鬼叫佢係老細咩~

很多時縱然不願意又不合理,還是得順從上司、客人的意願,之如我的無償補習與賀年圖片。

溝通的目的可以是說服對方,或是純粹表達意見,發脾氣則為發泄;要怎麼表達就看個人目的了。

另外,你是否講過,心情不好會影響健康? :P