Saturday, May 16, 2009

To Chief Executive

I know it is late for me to write this, but I really want to say something regarding your remarks about June 4 in the Legislative Council question and answer session on Thursday.

Responding to a question raised by Civic Party legislator Margaret Ng on your stance of June 4, you said you understand Hong Kong people’s feelings about June 4.

But you went on to say that the incident happened many years ago, and the nation’s development has achieved tremendous results and brought economic prosperity to Hong Kong since then. You said you believe Hong Kong people will make an “objective” view of the nation’s development.

Perhaps you can think about this. Can you ask the protesters who march to Japanese consulate in every December to have an “objective” view of Japan’s tremendous economic development over the past decades, which brings benefit to Hong Kong, and forget about Nanjing Massacre?

Well, I have not expected, and will not expect, you will join the pan-democrats in suggesting the need to vindicate the incident. Your response to Ng’s question is what I have expected.

But what touches my nerve is the following statement you have made.

“My view represents the general opinion of Hong Kong people, and the opinion of the public will also affect my view,” you said. “The Hong Kong people I represent is the general Hong Kong people.”

Mr Chief Executive, you come to power after you have been elected by a committee consisting of 800 members. You are not elected by universal suffrage. How can you say that you represent my views? My views are different from yours. I do not share your views. Please just don’t impose your views on me.

You “apologized” after the Q&A session, saying you have used wrong words.

It is not a matter of language. I feel disrespected and offended by you.

No comments: