Monday, May 25, 2009

Nina Wang

I spent the entire week in the High Court covering the probate trial which will decide who – Chinachem Charitable Foundation or fung shui master Tony Chan – can inherit the estimated HK$100 billion estate of late Asia’s richest woman Nina Wang.
When Nina died two years ago, most people thought her estate would be used for charitable purposes based on a will dated 2002. However, to the surprise of Wang’s siblings, Chan – an unknown person before the saga – suddenly came out, claiming himself the sole beneficiary of Wang’s fortune based on a will dated 2006.
Chan claimed himself the secret lover of Wang, whose husband Teddy was declared legally dead after being kidnapped in 1990. The court heard that Wang was attracted to Chan because the fung shui master claimed that he could locate Wang’s husband, but Chan denied that his fung shui knowledge is very limited.
Fung shui, Chan claimed, is only a smokescreen covering his romantic and intimate relationship with Wang. Chan presented video, audio recordings, Wang trademark pigtail and love letters to the court to prove the relationship. Awaking many reporters who were bored to fall asleep in the court room, Chan’s counsel said one of the videos could prove that Wang wanted to have a baby with Chan.
I somehow cannot understand how these rich people think.
Wang, a person known for her frugality who treated police or staff helping her with only a simple meal that even the poorest people can afford, spent millions of dollars in fung shui. She asked for the transcript of court document to be prayed on, and the color of the bundles be matched with fung shui advice. She gave Chan HK$700 million over a few years in cash transported by car. HK$700 million in cash in addition to HK$2 billion and fees to other fung shui masters!! I don’t think I can make it in my life.
A former legislator, who introduced Chan to Wang, said he gave Chan some HK$750,000 a year for fung shui advice and burned some HK$500,000 real bank notes to get rid of legal problems. The result – he was still sent to jail. If I had HK$500,000, I would quit my job for studying or travelling or taking rest, or use it for investment. I would definitely not burn them. Burning real money is unimaginable and insane.
I cannot live without money. Maybe if I am as rich as these people, I will feel more insecure with more money I have.

1 comment:

Teoh KL said...

Vaguely I believe in Feng Shui. In this case I think it is a con of the so-called Feng Shui master. He's greedy. After all himself is already a multi millionaire.